Every business makes an impact, intentional or not. We believe that building better includes being better in the way we do things, such as how we operate our business. We strive to be intentional with our decisions in not only what makes us money, but also in aspects of our people, the environment and our communities.
Certified B Corporations® (B Corps™) are for-profit companies that use the power of business to build a more inclusive and sustainable economy.
They meet the highest verified standards of social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability. As of 2018, there are more than 2,500 B Corps in 130 industries and 60 countries around the world.
- B Corps are leaders of a global movement of people using business as a force for good™.
- The Certification process uses credible, comprehensive, transparent, and independent standards of social and environmental performance.
- The B Corp assessment process measures a company’s performance in five categories: governance, workers, customers, community, and the environment.
- Certified B Corporations amend their governance so that, by law, they can make decisions and implement practices that consider not just shareholder value, but the impact on all stakeholders — employees, customers, society, and the environment.
- The B Corp community works toward reduced inequality, lower levels of poverty, a healthier environment, stronger communities, and the creation of high-quality jobs with dignity and purpose.
- B Corp Certification is a highly selective status. Companies must document their positive impact to qualify and undergo verification every three years to maintain their Certification.
- Certified B Corporations range from multinational corporations to wholly owned subsidiaries to small businesses serving local communities.
- The B Impact Assessment takes into account the size, industry, and location of each business. This makes our assessment of overall impact as accurate as possible.
- It is one of the only certifications that is not for a product or service, but for the whole business behind the product or service.
- B Corporation Certification helps consumers identify companies with a mission, and helps investors select investments that align with their values.
In 2018, we began our B Corp assessment to identify the areas we already exceled at and those areas could improve. The process illuminated areas and opportunities that we were excited to incorporate. Once we knew the areas we wanted to focus on, we got to work on making it happen.
In 2019, we completed the verification process and proudly became a Certified B Corporation®.
Zenith donates 1% of our annual sales to support nonprofit organizations focused on the environment. As a 1% For the Planet member, we are accountable to this annual commitment and we can be assured that our donations are going to vetted, trusted nonprofits.
We’re proud to partner with two local organizations whose tangible work protects vital ecosystems and supports healthier communities.
Vancity Credit Union is a member-owned financial co-operative whose vision is to redefine wealth in a way that furthers the financial, social and environmental well-being of their member and communities. Zenith is proud to be a member of Vancity. One of Canada’s largest Living Wage employers, Vancity also supports local communities and businesses.
Zenith’s environmental stewardship is more than policies, it’s the fundamental way we seek to operate in order to embed the environment into our everyday decisions and actions. We are committed to continuous improvement in our internal operations to ensure we’re reducing our environmental footprint.
We are proud to operate in a sustainable manner and strive to choose approaches that have the least environmental impact.
Our work space is within a LEED certified building, in a shared office that would otherwise be unoccupied to reduce our overall footprint and share resources. The office is located close to public transit and has indoor bike storage and showers to encourage more sustainable commuting.
We realize that being integrated into design and construction teams means a lot of personal communication. For this, we encourage and use a combination of teleconferencing, public transport and car share programs for commuting to and from site.
Through both individual and team contributions, Zenith supports various organizations in our community via paid volunteer hours for all team members.